For those unsure about which avenue to choose upon entering medical college, Health Science might prove to be an excellent field of entry. Acting as a base for providing solid medical know-how, a Health Science degree will help you achieve phenomenal growth in the competitive healthcare industry. As it is a broad field, one needs to narrow it down to Bachelor of Cardiovascular Technology, Medical Lab Technology, Optometry, or Lateral Entry, among others. Institutes that offer BOPTOM or CVT courses in Gurgaon provide you with the opportunity to explore a host of interdisciplinary topics and dynamic perspectives. It will also grant you a nuanced understanding of medicine and patient care.
What can you do with a Health Science degree? The possibilities are endless, as the work allotted depends upon individual aptitude, interest, and education. While some people can work directly with parents as clinicians, others can perform administrative or technology-related tasks and assume key leadership roles. Here are some roles listed below:
Tailor-made for those who prefer a hands-on approach to healing and rehabilitation, clinicians can work under the following capacities:
- Physical Therapists: Your role is to treat the injured and look after those in surgery – some patients require assistance to walk with or without prosthetics, while others may need help with fine motor control. A certain level of empathy and dedication is required to fulfill this role.
- Medical Assistants: The premise of your work would usually be doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals, where you would have to carry out clinical or administrative tasks. It is a crucial role, as good medical assistants are vital to the smooth functioning of medical organizations.
- Occupational Therapists: As an OT, you will help people with re-learning processes after they have undergone life-altering operations.
- Research Scientist: Researchers constantly seek new medical cures and innovations. You can specialize in areas such as cancer treatment or liver ailments while conducting tests and proving hypotheses in the laboratory.
- Physicians: The lifeline of the healthcare industry, medical doctors can take up specializations such as cardiology or work as a general physician.
Some people gravitate towards management positions and might opt for healthcare administration. The areas of administration include the following:
- Finance: Every hospital or clinic requires a financial officer to invest funds and help raise investment capital for new wings and expansions.
- Marketing and Public Relations: Those with an inclination towards journalism and writing can opt for this field. Marketing and PR professionals are integral parts of hospitals and medical facilities, as they work to strengthen relationships with the public.
- Accounting: Accountants audit books allocate funds, and sanction expenditures in accordance with budgets.
- Health Informatics: The IT department of all hospitals, wherein your work will be aided by healthcare software systems. You might also have to design and maintain databases of patient records, in order to keep all medical histories safe and up to date.
Public Sector Roles
Offering a wider and more comprehensive picture of healthcare, public sector roles are optimum for those who wish to work for government agencies, non-profit organizations, or government contractors. If this appeals to you, you might consider the following career tracks :
- Health Education: Perfect for those who possess a knack for teaching with a focus exclusively on healthcare. Health educators are responsible for educating others about diseases and their remedies. You might also end up creating educational films or documentaries, posters, and pamphlets to keep the common man updated on health issues.
- Environmental Health: If you are interested in environmental health, you could be involved with the functioning of water systems and bacteria control. Environmental health experts also delve into the impact of toxic waste, along with other intersections of environmental health.
- Public Health: Public health experts dabble in a wide range of environments, such as private hospitals and state or federal governments.
- Epidemiology: Specifically the study of the way in which diseases spread, you can opt for this specialized field if you wish to work with public health officials who work towards preventing diseases.